Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes
Did you know that millions of Americans may be prediabetic and not even know it? That’s because prediabetes usually doesn’t cause symptoms – but if left untreated, it can develop into type 2 diabetes, the most common form of diabetes.
You are prediabetic when your blood glucose (blood sugar) levels are higher than normal. If they reach a certain level, you can develop type 2 diabetes, which is a disease that occurs when your body fails to make or use the hormone insulin properly. This leads to too much glucose in your body, which can be harmful to your blood vessels and nerves over time. This puts you at a greater risk for heart disease, stroke, or other health problems.
Prediabetes Risk Factors
- Those who are overweight or obese.
- Those who have a parent, brother, or sister who is diabetic.
- Women who have had diabetes during pregnancy (known as gestational diabetes) or had a baby who weighed over nine pounds at birth.
- African Americans, Native Americans, Latin Americans, or Asian/Pacific Islanders.
- Those with high blood pressure (above 140/90).
- Those with an HDL cholesterol level that is less than 40 mg per dL for men or 50 mg per dL for women, or those with a triglyceride level higher than 150 mg per dL.
- Women who have had polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
The only way to know if you have prediabetes is to have your blood sugar levels tested. Once this is confirmed, you can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by making certain lifestyle changes, such as healthier nutrition, achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, and exercising on a regular basis.
Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes Treatment
If you are diagnosed as prediabetic or have type 2 diabetes, PAI Wellness Group in Raleigh, North Carolina can help. We specialize in holistic diabetes management, offering an individualized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs that may include:
- Weight control management (customized meal plans and exercise regimens)
- Nutraceutical supplements
- Comprehensive Medication Therapy Management
- 7 Steps to H.A.R.M.O.N.Y.™ Program
- Functional/genetic testing to monitor your progress
Holistic Diabetes Management in Raleigh, NC
To learn more about our prediabetes and type 2 diabetes services, contact us at PAI Wellness Group today by calling (919) 529-3355. Better yet, use our convenient online Request an Appointment form to arrange a one-on-one private consultation with Dr. Asha Pai Bohannon.